Thursday, April 11, 2013

Back to Basics: Coconut Oil and the many Benefits and Uses

Dr Bronner's Magic All in one Fair Trade Organic Coconut Oil
Haircare is a huge topic for woman and I get asked frequently what I do in terms of my regiment. I have discussed prior that I used to buy everything from every line in the beginning of my hair journey but as time flew and money shortened I realized I must stick to what works and stick with the basics. In my previous post about my mixture of argan oil and coconut oil in a deep treatment I touched briefly on using coconut oil but decided you guys must know the full benefits and why this is a product you shouldn't neglect purchasing. (Hair talk deep conditioning-with Argan oil and Coconut oil)
Coconut oil is my holy grail item because it is jam packed with so many benefits and is truly a underrated inexpensive product that is full of greatness. I will go over some of the many uses and benefits of coconut oil when added to a beauty regiment.

Uses and Benefits in Hair

  • A great conditioner for the hair when applied as a pre- poo (overnight before wash time)
  • Great hot oil treatment for dry damaged hair
  • Helps rid of dandruff and dry scalp
  • Promotes hair growth
  • Makes hair soft and shine
  • Helps treat damaged hair 
  • Can also get rid of lice 
I must say that I have been using coconut oil to deep condition with for the last two years and see tremendous amount of growth, shine, and strength in my hair. This is the one product I will never remove from my hair journey because it is inexpensive and works really great.  
I do not recommend leaving it in for more then 10 + hours in your hair because your hair will be extremely greasy and start to smell. A good idea is to deep condition and wear it to bed or while doing some housework and wash it out.

Uses and Benefits on Skin
  • Great moisturizer for the skin
  • Is said to aid in the prevention of wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines 
  • Relieves irritations like sun burns of insect bites
  • Softens skin and provides a natural glow
  • Treats chapped, dry lips in the harsh winter time
  • Has no side effects, is natural, and organic with no added ingredients
When using coconut oil on the skin you really start to feel the texture of your skin get so buttery soft and radiant right away. It is great to use it on the legs after you shave, on your skin before you go into hot weather, as well as use as a massage oil. All the lotions and gels of the world don't compare to the feeling of using coconut oil on the body but just be careful to use a little at a time.

What to look for when Buying Coconut Oil
  • Certified organic and non-GMO
  • Made from fresh coconuts
  • Unrefined
  • Chemical-free
  • Unbleached
  • Maintains pure white color
  • Unhydrogenated
  •  Has a fresh coconut fragrance
  • Cold pressed (the way the oil is extracted from the coconut) 

I have two brands of Coconut oil that I use: Dr. Bronner's Organic White Virgin Coconut Oil or Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Both work great and I have no complaints. However I do prefer Nutiva for a few reasons. Nutiva can be found at most grocery stores(so easier to purchase) and has a smoother consistency.  Whereas Dr Bronner although very good has a slightly graining consistency  Both are great products and are worth checking out and using non the less. 
Nutiva retails for $12.99 CAD (depending on size you get)
Dr Bronners retails for $8.99 CAD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog